U Visa Dependents

The following guide is intended as a general overview of the types of special immigrant status visas.


The U visa is for immigrants who have been victims of a crime and assist or are willing to assist U.S. authorities in investigating and/or prosecuting that crime.


To be eligible to apply for a U visa, a person must: Have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of being a victim of certain types of crimes; Possess information about that criminal activity; Provide a certification from a law enforcement official, prosecutor, or judge that the person has been, is being helpful, or is likely to be helpful in the investigation or prosecution of the criminal activity; and Show that the criminal activity violated the laws of the United States

Application Process

If eligible, applicants should submit the following documents and applications: Form I-918, Petition for U Nonimmigrant Status Form I-918, Supplement B, U Nonimmigrant Status Certification. The Form I-918, Supplement B, must be signed by and authorized official of the certifying law enforcement agency (PDF)and the official must confirm that you were helpful, and currently being helpful, or will likely be helpful in the investigation or prosecution of the case. A personal statement describing the criminal activity of which you were a victim.


Certain qualifying family members are eligible for a derivative U visa. If you are under 21 years of age, you may apply on behalf of your spouse, children, parents and unmarried siblings under age 18. If you are over 21 years of age, you may apply on behalf of your spouse and children. To apply for a qualified family member, you must file a Form I-918, Supplement A, Application for Immediate Family Member of U-1 Recipient at the same time as your application or at a later time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *