Traveling as a LPR

This guide is intended for green card holders who wish to travel overseas.
What documents are needed?

When traveling overseas, you should always carry the following:

1.) your valid passport;

2.) state-issued identification;

3.) country specific visa (if required). Consult with the U.S. Department of State for country specific information about entry and exit.

4.) travel permit issued by USCIS if the travel is more than 6 months.

5.) valid and unexpired permanent residency card (green card)

When do I need to acquire a travel permit?

As per the basic rule of permanent residency, travel for over 6 months may break the continuous residence requirement and a green card holder may lose their status. If a permanent resident plans to remain outside of the U.S. for more than 6 months, s/he must acquire a Re-entry permit, Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, complete with supporting documentation, photos, and applicable fees. Such a permit is valid for two years from the date of issuance.

In order to apply, an individual must be in the U.S. and have his/her biometrics done at their local USCIS service center.

For more information, contact ALO at 978-905-9992.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *