Residence for USCs

USCIS has recently defined “residence” as it relates to citizenship for children of certain U.S. government employees and members of the U.S. armed forces who are employed outside the United States.

This guidance rescinds previously established USCIS policy, which stated that certain children who were living outside the United States were considered “residing in” the United States. As a result, it changes the process that parents of such children must follow to obtain a Certificate of Citizenship for their children. Under the previous policy, parents of those children could file either Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship, or Form N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322, on behalf of their children. As of Oct. 29, 2019, these parents must file Form N-600K to obtain U.S. citizenship for any child who did not acquire citizenship at birth or while residing in the United States. Therefore, we will apply current guidance to all applications filed before Oct. 29, 2019.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *