Adjustment of Status, Change of Address

Adjustment of status is the process that you can use to apply for lawful permanent resident status (also known as applying for a Green Card) when you are present in the United States. This means that you may get a Green Card without having to return to your home country to complete visa processing.

Determine Eligibility

The eligibility requirements for adjustment of status vary depending on the immigrant category you are applying under. The first step in the adjustment of status process is to determine if you fit into a specific category.

Available Visa

Most people who apply for a Green Card will need to complete at least two forms–an immigrant petition and a Green Card application. Normally you need a petitioning sponsor to apply for you, although you may be eligible to file for yourself in some cases. Once you have determined that you are eligible to file for adjustment of status and that you have a visa available, you may begin the process of applying.

Change of Address

If at any time after you have submitted your application to adjust status, you move or change your address, you must notify USCIS within 10 days of moving to the new address. To change your address, you must either: File Form AR-11 (online OR by mail) or Change your address on any pending or recently approved applications or petitions, online OR by phone at 1-800-375-5283. For TTY (deaf or hard of hearing) call: 1-800-767-1833.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *